Blonde hair takes a lot of maintenance, yes it might be fun, but brassy orange tones aren’t and that’s where purple shampoo comes in to help.
If you’ve dyed your hair blonde you need one of these purple shampoos on your shelf in your bathroom.
Why purple shampoo?
Yellow and purple are opposite on the colour wheel, so a cool toned violet shampoo will counteract any warm medallion tones that start to shine through dyed blonde or bleached hair after a while.
The purple shampoos deposit purple pigment into your hair to negate brassiness and brighten silver tones. If the hair has brassiness and orange tones, to begin with, it won't do much, even if the hair is double processed or highlighted. If the hair starts off with the correct pigments during the colour service, then the after-care with the toning shampoos and conditioners will help.
Pick of the best purple shampoo for blonde locks in 2017
These are our pick of the standout colour-correcting formulas:
- Joico Colour Endure Violet Shampoo
- Lush Daddy-O
- Provoke Touch of Silver Brightening Shampoo
- Matrix Color Obsessed So Silver Shampoo
- Tigi Bed Head Dumb Blonde Purple Toning Shampoo
- Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo
- L’Oreal Professionnel Serie Expert Silver
- Lee Stafford Bleach Blondes Shampoo
- Fudge Violet Toning Shampoo
- Things to note when using purple shampoo
- What to look for in a purple shampoo
Joico Colour Endure Violet Shampoo
This lathers beautifully and the scent will transport you straight to the hair salon. It’s extremely pigmented and leaves hair looking fresh and bright. It’s free of sulphates and parabens too. The violet formula enhances tone immediately.
- Colour endure shampoo
- Softens and strengthens
Look through any selection of ‘best purple shampoo’ lists and you’ll find this Lush product. It has an amazing smell and leaves hair feeling fresh and cleansed, as well as leaving blonde locks lighter and shinier.
Provoke Touch of Silver Brightening Shampoo
This shampoo is definitely the most purse-friendly of the bunch. It will lightly adjust the colour of your hair, so you won’t run the risk of leaving it on too long and adopting more purple tones than you hoped for. It’s the perfect shampoo for those who have never tried purple shampoo before. The texture is beautiful too; it works through hair easily and gets into every section of your locks.
- Formulated with violet pigment to treat yellowing, fading & dullness
- Actively neutralises brassy, yellow tones in grey,white & platinum blonde hair
Matrix Color Obsessed So Silver Shampoo
Neutralise brassy warmth and illuminate highlights in your blonde hair with the Matrix Color Obsessed So Silver Shampoo. The rich, creamy, violet shampoo gently cleanses lightened hair, leaving effortless shiny locks in its wake.
- Discover Matrix Color Obsessed So Silver previously known as Color Care So Silver.
- The rich, creamy, violet shampoo gently cleanses lightened hair, leaving effortless shine
Tigi Bed Head Dumb Blonde Purple Toning Shampoo
If shampoo scent is a big thing for you, then this is the shampoo to buy. It smells incredible. Not only that but it’s great for protecting blonde hair colour and smoothing damaged texture too. It puts body in your hair and helps prolong colour too.
- Purple Toning Shampoo
- From Tigi Dumb Blonde range
Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo
The shimmery purple shampoo has a soapy floral scent and produces plenty of suds too. This shampoo helps keep colour looking bright and true. The formula is fortified with extra proteins and leaves hair shiny and residue-free. It does, however, have sulphates in, good to know if you prefer to avoid them in your products.
- Specifically formulated for blonde or gray hair
- Enhances Colour
L’Oreal Professionnel Serie Expert Silver
The L'Oreal Professionnel Serie Expert Silver Shampoo works extremely fast to eliminate brassy tones from blonde hair. It has one of the darkest purple tints on this list, so if your hair is in need of some serious rescue, this is the product for you. Also the ideal product if you have platinum blonde hair, it will help to keep it looking bright and fresh.
Lee Stafford Bleach Blondes Shampoo
Another great value for money product, this purple, toning Shampoo knocks out those nasty, brassy tones leaving blonde hair looking and feeling super charged. With a Pro-Blonde complex of panthenol, chamomile and moringa seed extract, otherwise known as Miracle Tree to encourage natural shine to truly glow.
- For bleached or partly bleached highlights and bleached hair
- Freshly bleached blonde hair looks bright, beautiful
Fudge Violet Toning Shampoo
Fudge's violet toning shampoo is a purple shampoo that is predominantly comprised of violet pigment. The shampoo is an intensely dark, thick, rich formula and can be used to tone even the brassiest hair. It is also a great shampoo for washing your hair as it has strong enough soaping action to clean your hair properly at the same time as toning it.
- A neutralising blonde product
- The ideal shampoo to neutralise and cleanse
Things to note when using purple shampoo
- Only use your purple shampoo maybe once a week or every other week to freshen up the tones in your hair.
- Use the shampoo as you would a normal product; you don’t need to leave it in any longer. Heavily bleached hair can be porous and soaks up colour like a sponge.
- Follow up with a good conditioner each use – but you should be doing this anyway.
- Those with fresh highlights and double-processed blonde hair should use styling products that have no colour pigment, meaning any cream or serums, mousses, sprays that are either white or clear in colour so the hair won't pick up the colour of the product.
What to look for in a purple shampoo
The colour-correcting formula of a purple shampoo should have a thick consistency, a deep dark purple colour, and they won’t appear translucent. If you look for a dark, opaque product, you can be sure you're buying a purple shampoo that will work properly.
Last update on 2017-09-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API