Since its global launch in 2002, Bio Oil has won 84 skincare awards and has become the No 1 selling scar and stretch mark product in 20 countries, and it’s not surprising, it works and it’s really inexpensive – especially when compared to some other products.
How Bio-Oil works
According to the manufacturer, Bio Oil is a speciality formula that works by combining a number of ingredients essential to effective skin care. Unlike retinol serum or a hydroquinone cream, this oil is not specialised-enough to target advanced issues. However, the maker of Bio Oil claims that the product can have a meaningful impact on more general problems like ageing skin symptoms, stretch marks, uneven pigmentation (like sun spots), and dry skin.
The idea is that by using this item regularly, Bio Oil will provide the skin with necessary chemicals and building blocks to repair itself and look healthier.
Bio-Oil Stretch Marks review
Generally, the most common thing people use Bio Oil for is to treat stretch marks associated with pregnancy and to minimise the appearance of scars.
When using any beauty product it’s important to be realistic with the expectations of what it can do, there are no miracles in skincare remember.
The general consensus when it comes to Bio-Oil for stretch marks is that it works better on new ones that are more red or pink in colour, as opposed to older marks which are a little more faded and white in colour.
Bio Oil Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a chronic, normally genetic and reoccurring skin condition; it affects around 2% of the population. It causes red, flaky, and sometimes crusty patches of skin covered with silvery scales. These patches usually appear on the elbows, knees, scalp and lower back, but can appear anywhere.
The auto-immune disease doesn’t have a cure, but there are a range of treatments that can improve the symptoms, and Bio Oil is one of them.
Bio Oil works to nourish the skin and leave Psoriasis looking less red and generally smoother. It is quite oily when rubbed into the skin all over, but just make sure you apply before bed rather in the morning when you have to get dressed and head out.
Bio Oil might not miraculously cure Psoriasis but it definitely helps to reduce the redness in the patches of skin affected, and generally softens and smoothes the skin all over.
Bio-Oil Side Effects
Although little independent research has been conducted, Bio-Oil research indicates that controlled studies confirmed no side effects or skin reactions to this products when used as directed.
But it’s important to mention that one of the ingredients listed in Bio-Oil is Benzyl Salicylate, which is a fragrance additive and UV light absorber, primarily used in perfumes and hair dye. Some users have reported a reaction when using Bio-Oil on their face.
Bio-Oil also contains mineral oil, which is known to clog pores and could potentially lead to breakouts.
Non-greasy, absorbs well, a little product goes a long way, inexpensive
Messy to apply
Keep in mind, stretch marks are permanent in nature, and even if this oil is formulated to help improve their appearance, it can never remove them. So stay realistic with your expectations.
While it may not be a miracle product, we expect you’ll get some results from new scars, acne scars, new stretch marks or to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy. As for old stretch marks, you’ll most likely be disappointed.
Buy Bio Oil
Bio Oil is available in three different size bottles, 60ml, 125ml and 200ml.
Bio‑Oil is manufactured in accordance with cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practice) as stipulated by the World Health Organization. All ingredients are tested for adulteration and microbiological contamination prior to production and a sample from each batch manufactured is laboratory tested and then retained and monitored over a 5-year period.
Bio Oil Ingredients
There are many ingredients included in Bio Oil, which on the one hand makes it a less specialised treatment, but on the other hand increases the chances that at least one of the chemicals will have a positive effect on the skin.
Some of the key Bio Oil ingredients include:
- Rosemary Oil: This ingredient is often included in skin care products due to its antimicrobial properties. By reducing infection-causing bacteria and viruses, rosemary oil may be able to reduce inflammation and promote healing of micro wounds. This, in turn, will help keep the skin healthier and more resilient.
- Chamomile Oil: This Bio Oil ingredient has many healing and anti-inflammatory properties, and is formulated into skin care products for several reasons. Firstly, mere inhalation of the oil can have calming properties, which promotes lower stress and an overall sense of well being. However, chamomile oil is also known to reduce inflammation on the skin and to even out pigmentation issues.
- Vitamin A: This nutrient is a common skin care ingredient and is included in Bio Oil due to its ability to regulate the skin’s shedding process. Of course, in more potent versions, this chemical is referred to as retinol. Certainly, retinol is more potent and can provide more dramatic improvements in skin pigmentation and pore cleansing. However, the weaker version (vitamin A) is less likely to cause skin irritation or other adverse reactions.
- Lavender Oil: This Bio Oil ingredient is believed to have been used in skin care for thousands of years, and is valued for its ability to destroy bacteria and fungi, and induce a calming effect. Further, lavender oil is thought to carry antioxidants that reduce skin damage.
- Vitamin E: The Bio Oil formulation also includes vitamin E, which is a well-known antioxidant. Additionally, vitamin E is also a natural preservative and helps keep the product from expiring early.
- Calendula Oil: Bio Oil also contains calendula oil, which is a strong skin moisturiser, and helps to heal dry, flaky skin.