Dating can be hard, in fact, it can be a minefield and sometimes the lure of staying in with your creature comforts sounds much more appealing, especially if there’s a chance it’s going to be a dull date.
With the help of India Kang, we’ve assembled some tips to guarantee you’re always a good and interesting date... The one thing we can’t promise, however, is that the other person on the date will be.
India Kang is a dating and relationship coach she shares her advice below:
How to be an interesting date
A ‘date’ is no different to let’s say, an interview or a new business meeting. In all these scenarios,’ you’re effectively meeting with a ‘stranger.’ Treat ‘dating’ in exactly the same way. A rule of thumb I give my clients is that ‘if you wouldn’t do it at an interview, don’t do it on a date. What I mean is that, within the dating context, normal social rules and etiquette apply. Here are some ways to be an interesting date:
- Arrive on time, if you’re running late, be sure to let the other person know
- Mind your manners
- Be accommodating, if they have a restaurant or a bar in mind, go with the flow and give it a try
- Listen to what the other person is saying and try not to interrupt
- Aim to make a first good impression. Make an effort with your dress and adhere to good grooming
- Stay away from no-go topics such as politics, religion, and sex. Instead focus on each other interests, books, movies, holidays, theatre, and sport etc.
- Make them feel warm about themselves, what I mean, is, don’t criticise anything; not their dress sense, choice of restaurant or their interests.
- Smile, be polite and stay positive